(14) Wahlong.— Estd. 1910.
Wahlong Brahma Samaj.
Secretary:—U. Hori Singh ( c/o Rohinikanta Roy Cherapoonjee.)
Members:—10 Men—5 Anusthanic.
Women 3 ( 3 families ).
Meetings:—Every fourth evening.
Mandir.—There is no Mandir.
Subscription:—One anna a month.
Ministers:—1 U. Hori Singh (Lay Minister ).
2 One of the Mission Workers ( alternately ).
Konnagar. Hugli Dt. Estd. 28th May 1863.
The Konnagar Brahma Samaj, Konnagar.
Secretary:—Babu Satya Priyji Deb, 58, Creek Row, Calcntta.
Members:—Ten (9 men and 1 woman) of whom 5 are Anusta. nic. These comprise four families.
meeting:—Divine service in Bengali is held once a week, generally on Sundays.
Mandir:—The Samaj has a Mandir, consecrated on 8th March 1876.
Funds:--Subscription of Re. 1 for a member is payable annually.
The Samaj was once in a prosperous condition especially during the liftime of its founder the late Babu Sib Ohunder Deb but now is in a deplorable state, not a single member being now resident of Konnagar.
Koorlad. Estd. April 1866.
Kooriad Brahma Samaj, Kooriad (Dt. Dacca).
Secretary.—Babu Hridaya Chandra Acharya, Kooriad (Dacca)
4 Women. = Members. 28
Meetings.—Sunday evening service in Bengali.
Mandir.—Samaj has its own Mandir consecrated in April 1868.
Lay Preacher.—Babu Hridaya Chandra Acharya.
History.—This is the country seat and Zeinindari of the late venerable Kali Narayan Gupta father of Hon’ble Mr. K. G. Gupta. He built the present Mandir in the beginning of April 1866. He also did Mission work in the sorrounding district, converted some four families and called them ‘ Kudali Sena ' or ‘Miners of the Samaj.’
Koostea. Estd. 1868.
The Koostea Brahma Samaj, Koostea.
Secretary:—Babu Ral Charan Das.
meeting:—Service is not regularly held every week,
Minister:—Babu Durga Charan Viawas.
Mandir:—The Samaj possesses its own Mandir, consecrated in 1668.
Funds:—There are some fruit trees in the compound of the Samaj ; the proceeds from the sale of the fruit are paid towards the rent of the land. The other expenses are borne by the Secretary and the Minister.
History :—This Samaj was established in 1868 at the instance of Babu Kshetra Mohan Haidar, then head clerk of the .Small Causes Court and a prayer house was constructed for holding divine service every Sunday. In 1870 the Samaj house was pulled down by a storm and a new house was erected next year on the spot where the present building Stands, the peice of land made over to the Samaj by Babu JadujNath Chatterji of Koya. In 1872 Babu Keshub Chunder Sen visited the place for the 2nd time and the Samaj attracted the notice of the public. The local Hindus formed themselves into a party and began to persecute the Brahmas, some of whom in consequence, left the Samaj. At last the two parties came to an understanding, the Brahmas having changed their day of worship from Sunday to Wednesday. They started a Scientific Association in which the Hindus also joined. In 1874 Babu Jadu Nath Chatterji was transferred from the place and Babu Kshetra Mohan Haidar died and none was left to work for the Samaj. The Hindus took advantage of this opportunity, took possession of the Samaj house and located a Vernacular School there. At this time Babu Suryakant Sen came to the place as a Deputy Magistrate and recovered the possession of the Mandir. Bat on his transfer from the place the work of the Samaj was stopped for two years. In 1878 Babu Krishnendra Chaudhari eame to the place as head clerk of the Small Causes Court and reoommenced the work of the Samaj. A new house for holding service was built and Babus Krishna Kumar Mitra, B. A., and KalishankarSukul, M. A., used to visit the place now and then. Babu Durgadas Mukerji was then Secretary of the Samaj. The Samaj prospered to a certain extent owing to the exertions of Babus Surendra Nath Chatterjee, Sub-Deputy Magistrate, Chandi Charan Bannerjee and Srlnath Bhattacharya. But the 'work of the Samaj again suffered owing to the transfer of some of these gentlemen and resignation of its Secretary. At this time Babu Rai Charan Das came here as a pleader and undertook the work of the Samaj.
In 1887 Babu Jagadishwar Gupta B., L., came here as Mnnsiff and assisted in the work of the Samaj. A girls' school was then opened under the management- of the Samaj. A building was constructed at a cost of Rs. 1,819 of whioh Maharshi Devendra Nath Tagore made a donation of Rs. 1,000. ATrust Deed was executed and Babus Heramba Chandra Mitra, M. A., Jagadishwar Gupta, B. L., Bipin Bihari Roy of Manikdah were appointed its trustees. The last two gentlemen having died the Samaj appointed Babus Kunja Behari Yiswas, M. A., B. L., and Prasanna Chandra Chaudhri' trustees in their place.